Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hairspray


So...I go with a friend to see Hairspray. It was at a dinner theater, the food was pretty good, the dessert bar was another nail in my coffin, and then the curtain rose.

Within the first 30 seconds I was ready to walk out. Here comes this full grown woman on stage and starts singing in this whiny baby voice and the first thing I thought of is when I went to see A Street Car Named Desire and how I was ready to strangle the female lead. It took everything I had to sit through Street Car. The negativity and the constant yelling had my nerves on end and I was feeling the same thing with this chubby, chipper, leading lady.

I took a deep breath and ordered a Jack & Coke, I was going to need something to calm my nerves if I was going to make it through this play.

However much to my surprise as the play progressed I found myself not quite as annoyed as I started out. The other characters softened the blow of the whining as the story line progressed. Thank god for men in drag, nothing like it to lighten the mood. All in all the play was pretty good. I ended up much to my amazement, not even drinking the Jack and Coke at all. I've certainly come a long a way. Not a standing ovation performance but all in all an enjoyable evening with way too much sugar, in more ways than one.

I left satisfied with my commemorative Hairspray glass in hand anticipating which show I would come and see next. So...Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment